CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Nice Day To Play On The River



Memorial day was a perfect day to get out and enjoy the Kalamazoo River. Katy and I crawled out of bed bright and early (not really) and we were on the river by 12:30. The Big Curve bait shop was closed but luckily we had about 4 night crawlers that were donated to us by our neighbor Ted before we left. Katy started the day out with a sun fish which actually ended up being used for Catfish bait. After I put a chuck of that sunfish on Katy's hook, I tried bouncing a jig off the bottom of the river and happened to catch a 16" walleye. Following all that excitement, Katy felt what she described as a "nibble" and gave her rod a nice jerk and ended up setting the hook into good size snapping turtle. That's right, I said snapping turtle. At first she thought it was a snag and then a fish and then we were both surprised to see a big ugly turtle at the end of her line. Needless to say, I cut the line. We figured the turtles were hungrier than the fish in that spot so we pulled up the anchor and moved to a new location. It wasn't long and Katy had a fish on, at least we were hoping it was a fish this time. It turned out to be a nice size catfish. I talked Katy into holding it for a photo op, as you can see in the above picture. She looks like a natural, don't you think?
All in all, it was a beautiful day and we had a great time. Not to mention, we caught a variety of fish and more.

9 comments:

Katy said...

Man I'm sexy.

Brink Boys said...

Your blog is alive! Kudos on the original Whack 'Em shirt, glad to see it it still around...

Bryan and Katy Kraker said...

I should have kept that Walleye. I wasn't sure if walleye was in season or not. I wasn't even sure what the size limit was either.

Tripp said...

hey I am just glad to come to this site and see a beautiful picture of Katy rather than that sucker that has been there for a month now :) Glad to see you spending some Q time with the wife.

Andrew Kraker said...

Seriously, you update your blog once every 2 months and you get more readers than me. Send some over my way.

Anonymous said...

Katy's fish looks bigger than the one you caught!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you kids had a good day on the river. I was also happy to NOT see that ugly Sucker fish anymore! Thank you for posting, and please do it more often. :D

Robin said...

Katy please wear that shirt every day! HA!

Little's said...

What a fun date day!! Thanks for posting!